Monday, October 4, 2010

How I found the one!

No, not Ryan! Most of you know that story anyway! I'm talking about the one...my precious, my lovely...my DRESS! Yes, she was shipped, picked up, and is currently laid out all pretty & nice in Rockford, IL on my parents couch. She's absolutely beautiful & I cannot wait to put the dress on that I'm sure will take my breath away. I'll finally be "a bride". So how'd I find her so easily & quickly? I have my mom & future mother-in-law to thank!

Update: Just found out my mom put a sheet over the dress (per the store's advice) with a sign that states "Do not sit or peek". I heard, however, that my brother took a peek!

While Ry's family was in town the girls decided it would be a perfect day to drive to Ottawa, IL to look at wedding dresses. Fully intending just to look, not buy. Boy, did I screw that up - ha! We drove to Bridal Elegance, which is the largest privately owned bridal store in the midwest so I was sure I would find at least something to help narrow down all the bridal dress options there are out there. I tried on a ton of a certain style of dress that I thought I wanted, but none of them were doing it for us. They were all so beautiful & delicate, but none screamed "PICK ME!". I was a little disappointed because not only did the style I thought I wanted turn out to be completely wrong for my body type, but I didn't get to try on any other styles since I was so determined to get this certain style.

Thankfully Ry's mom told the sales lady we were going to keep trying on dresses even though our appointment was over (gotta love New Yorkers!). The sales lady seemed hesitant, but decided to let me have an extra few minutes. Me, Catherine, Mom & Peg ran into all different directions picking out all types of dresses. My mom & Peg chose one dress that looked simple, elegant, and I was immediately drawn to it. I loved the simplicity of the dress along with the light beading, so I tried it on & (cue victorious music) I was "a bride". I felt it. I saw it. I knew she was the one. I looked over & everyone was silent. My sister began to cry (ahhh, I still get teary eyed thinking about this) & Mom & Peg were silent & smiling. I knew I wasn't the only one feeling the way I was. I couldn't have asked for a better group of ladies (besides you Meg!) to be a part of this lovely experience. I will never, ever forget it.

Here are some dresses that just didn't make the cut. Sorry!


Yes! This was a worn as wedding dress!

1 comment:

  1. Too bad! That cowboy hat one with the lace socks would be my #1 pick to renew my vows:)

    ReplyDelete